Wednesday 19 September 2018

If unicorns could fly

So I was super excited when Tracey told me about the new animal shapes available from Powertex Uk. Especially when she said I could create a unicorn! I was so green with envy when I saw the beautiful unicorns created by everyone at the Powertex Garden Party (limited spaces are available to book for next year!Don't miss out it was an amazing weekend of relaxing, crafty fun!). I created mine with a little difference. Yes she can fly! The unicorn project pack has been put together by Tracey giving you all you need to create this. If you wish to add wings you will need wire in addition. 


Now I'd love to say I also did this bit but I was lucky enough to get a pre-made base from Tracey. As you can see from the photo you need to cover both sides of the mdf base with Powertex. Allow to dry, then use masking tape to adhere to the base.
 Then start wrapping foil around the base from the bottom up around the whole shape and use masking tape to keep in place.
 Paint Powertex over the masking tape to seal it and keep everything in place. We used Bronze.
You can choose to place the wings higher up if you wish. I used a really sharp pointed carving tool to make a hole through the tape, foil and mdf. You could use a bradle if you had one. Just make sure you watch your fingers! 


I then thredded some wire through the hole and crossed ti over the back of the body and taped in place. The wire was measured at just over 50cm, you could make them smaller or larger if you wish. Wrap the wire with masking tape and paint with Powertex. 

 From approx 1kg of Powertex and 250g Stone art tub I made up some clay. Then gradually added piece by piece. And stamped into the clay as I went. It's important to stamp the clay as you go because as it drys in the air it becomes harder to make an impression in.
I was lucky enough to have to hand an aray of these fabulous wooden block stamps. I love being at hq, I might move into our Traceys studio soon!

 I covered the whole body on both sides and stamped in different patterns.
I then tool my clay and pushed it into the daisy, pansy and rose moulds. It seems I didn't take a picture of the placement of these, but they ended up on the horses bottom. You can chose to place them anywhere.

I then coated a handful of Powercotton to create the texture on the mane and tail.


And dipped some paper dec in Powertex and covered the wire wings.


 I allowed everything to thoroughly dry and then dry brushed with some White Powertex. Just to allow the colours to come through brighter when I dry brushed them. But allowing the bronze Powertex to create the shadow for depth.
I used Burgundy powercolor into coral powercolor  on the mane.

 Rich gold colourtricx on the horn and the wings and flowers.


 I sprayed the body with brown bister to take the edge off the white. And added a mix of coral and white and layered up the colour on the body through dry brushing.

Turns out unicorns can fly! Hope you enjoyed this project. Of course if you feel as though you could use some guidance with this type of project just contact your local tutor through the directory to book on and have a go! It really makes a difference having an expert to hand. Toodles Anna xXx Follow me on my Instagram or Facebook if you like what I do. 

Don't forget to share your projects on Powertex Addicts United or The Powertex Studio on Facebook. Keep up to date with the latest at Powertex UK. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a stunning piece. A real showstopper, thank you.

    ReplyDelete