Monday 2 April 2018

Twinkle, twinkle, little bat

by Abigail Lagden


I was so excited when I unpacked all the Alice in Wonderland goodies that I couldn't wait to get started. The acrylics were so wonderfully bright and bold that I decided I needed to create something totally different to my usual style. So, it is the tea party set that I have chosen to share with you all this month.


Anyone who knows me and my work, knows I hate flat surfaces so the first thing I did was add some texture to the body of the teapot using wallpaper and painted over this with ivory Powertex. On top of this, I added a piece of the delicious floral rice paper using Easycoat Matt.
I did the same with the saucers and I also used a little bit of wallpaper on the top part of the cups.





I mixed up some Stone Art clay using ivory Powertex and Stone Art and applied this roughly onto the teacups. I used some flower stamps from my stash to make imprints into the clay. 






I then used the gorgeous acrylic paints to paint splodges of colour onto the clay. I left this to dry for a short time before using a damp sponge to gently wipe the paint back off the surface of the clay.

The two saucers were painted using the acrylic paints and left to dry. Again a damp sponge was used to lift the paint off the raised pattern.




More ivory stone art clay was added to the handle, spout and outer edges of the teapot. Lots of daisies were made using stone art clay in the daisy mould and these were piled onto the teapot (leaving some space for Alice) and secured using a little Powertex underneath the flowers.



In the same way as the paints were used on the cups, I coloured the teapot and all the flowers.

The little Alice figure was also painted using the acrylic paints and powertex.


Once all of the individual pieces were complete and dry, they were all attached together using some transparent Powertex and the MDF bar included in the kit.

Et voila!!

The brightest most funky piece I think I have ever made - I have a feeling I may have been converted from the dark side (well... temporarily at least!)





I hope you will all enjoy playing with the new templates, paints and pigments as much as I have. Don't forget to share your makes in The Powertex Studio, we absolutely love to see them.
Until next time, Abs xx

Find me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment