Friday 2 March 2018

Bring on the spring... please!


Powertex Daffodils by Abigail Lagden
by Abigail Lagden


Well, what a week! The winter is hanging on like a stubborn mule even as we enter March.

So, I thought I would create my own spring flowers to add a bit of colour to my snow-covered garden. And as it was St David's day this week, what better than some bright yellow daffodils.

Powertex daffodil ingredientsThese simple little daffs are made from an egg box, some cotton fabric, some hessian and bendy plastic straws. I also strayed away from my favourite bronze Powertex and broke out the yellow ochre.

First I tore the cones out of the egg box as well as the round base parts (a torn edge looks more natural than a cut one). The middle of the round bits were torn out the make rings.

I then wrapped the straw with a light cotton fabric coated in yellow powertex and pushed the card ring and the cone onto the bent end of the straw. 

Stem and petalsThe card parts were painted with yellow powertex and left to dry. 

I cut six petal shapes from hessian for each flower. Once the stem was dry I coated these in yellow powertex and arranged them around the ring of card. These were supported with anything I could find until they dried.

Drying daffodil

Once dry, the petals were dry brushed with a mixture of yellow ochre, white powercolor pigments and rich gold colortricx. The trumpets were coloured with either yellow or orange and the stems with green.





Here's hoping the garden will soon be full of real daffodils, there are some green shoots under all that snow. But in the meantime, these will add some colour!

Powertex daffodil flowers by Abigail Lagden
I couldn't resist popping them in a little Powertex'd vase too!

You can see what else I'm getting up to on my Facebook page Curiously Contrary. And don't forget to share what you have been getting up to with Powertex on the Powertex Addicts page.
Until April, stay warm and safe, Abs xx

(Don't forget, anything made for outdoors needs around 3 weeks to fully cure before it is weather resistant)

No comments:

Post a Comment