Friday 6 July 2018

Keepsake Kubes - a unique way to remember.....



Hello there

Our project theme this month is all about keepsakes, mementoes and lovely memories, so in keeping with that I would like to share with you my Keepsake Kube(s) .......there is an extra ‘s’ as I am sure you’ll want to make more than one!!

My Kube has all the memories of a little girl’s first year, I thought it would be lovely to continue building more blocks adding more memories as she grows so that by the time she has her own family she will have a full set of building blocks.

So here we go.........

For this project you will need

A cube shape - I used 6 empty wooden mini trays to make mine, as I love to recycle,  however you could use a cardboard box, mdf or even plastic.
Masking tape
Powertex - Transparent
Powertex Easy Coat Mat Varnish
Old clothes - natural fibres work best
Pieces of ribbons, buttons etc
Piece of cardboard
Typewriter or computer/printer





I stacked the trays on top of one another, making sure that the top and bottom were solid sides, then I secured them all together with masking tape and coated them with Powertex.










Don't forget to give your Powertex a good shake before using and only pour out a little at a time as it is air drying.

If you are using cardboard or plastic,  cover with the masking tape and coat with Powertex ( for cardboard - coat one side at a time, letting it dry in between to prevent the cardboard from sagging).  You can always speed your drying time up by using a hairdryer.

If you are using MDF then apply a layer of transparent directly to the base to help seal it.


I then took a selection of baby clothes and other memorabilia  - and cut out interesting bits eg embroidered motifs, metal fastenings, pieces of the base fabric, lace edgings, buttons, ribbons etc

I laid these out on the cube to see which pieces looked best where and once I was happy I coated each piece with transparent Powertex and then placed it on the cube giving it a firm push to make sure it was properly adhered.  I layered the motifs on top of the base fabrics after they had been coated in the Powertex. It is best to work on one side at a time allowing it to dry thoroughly, this way nothing will fall off as you are turning the cube over.

💡Why not use pinking shears to give your pieces a funky edge and prevent fraying.

When working with the transparent, make sure you take your time to cover all of the fabric as it can be difficult to see where you have been and remember although the Powertex will look milky when you pour it out, once dry it will be transparent.


To attach the plastic buttons I used a dab of Easy Coat Matt varnish.




I worked the 3D bears head last as this would take more time to dry.  I then left the cube for a couple of days to allow the bear to completely firm up.





I created the tags by using a good old fashioned typewriter and cardboard, you can also create the tags on the computer and print them off or hand write them with a waterproof pen.






When the fabric cube is completely dry, attach the tags again by using the Easy Matt Varnish.  I applied a coat of varnish over the top of the tags as well to make sure they were secure.

Now have a good look at the cube, does it need anything extra adding?  - don’t forget with Powertex you can continue to add onto already hardened items.

💡So now you've created your first cube, what will be on your next one?  How about one just for the school years, or their budding football career, a unique 21st birthday or even a wedding day keepsake with confetti etc......

I hope you have enjoyed this project and don't forget to share your makes with us over on our facebook page - The Powertex Studio. or why not continue your Powertex adventures by joining your local tutor on a workshop.

Until next time

Happy Creative Adventures

Annette



No comments:

Post a Comment