Friday 9 February 2018

Who Lives in a Powertex House Like This?


How to make your own Fairy House using the Powertex MDF Fairy House Kit 

 

If you go down to the woods today
You could spy some fairies who've come out to play
They live in this house that is hidden by trees
So if you should see them step quietly please
They're ever so naughty, but also quite shy
So watch for a moment, and then walk on by

 

The first step in creating my Fairy House was to set out a very basic design from which to work from.

I made the decision right from the start, that the fairies who live here are rather mischievious, the kind of fairies who would rather be out having fun, than at home keeping things neat and tidy.

So I deliberately mixed things up a bit.  

I put my door at a slightly wonky angle.  And made sure that my lace curtains looked a bit tattered and grubby. 

The base colour of the house is done in black powertex.  I knew that I was going to be putting the curtains underneath the circular windows, so I painted those first and set them aside to dry.

I chose to add the words 'I dream' from the Vincent Van Gogh stencil quotes available from the Powertex Uk website.  I like to  think that Mr Van Gogh would approve of  slightly messy fairies borrowing a few of his dreams.

I mixed up some Powertex Easy Structure together with a small amount of 3D Sand and scraped over my chosen words with a pallet knife.  (Top Tip - clean this off immediately afterwards or you will end up with a messy stencil like my one!)



I  added lots of gorgeous mixed media charms and flowers from one of the packs available from Powertex UK.  Alongside as these I also added a few of my own spider embellishments from my magpie's treasure trove of costume jewellery picked up from various charity shops on my travels. 

 These are nice spiders though, and on very good terms with the resident fairies.


I wanted the roof to look kind of thatched and ramshackle so initially I tore off a flower from a Powertex UK rice paper, and adhered this on using powertex varnish.  I then used some natural paperdec torn into strands and soaked in transparent powertex to give the appearance of thatching.


To give a magical shimmer to the whole thing, the colours I used were the interference powder colours mixed with the varnish.  These look almost pale white when they are in their tubs, but when mixed with the varnish turn into the most luminous pearly colours.  Beautiful.

The lace curtains, once messed up a bit, were also soaked in transparent powertex before putting them in their place, with the windows placed on top.  I then used a small brush to add some yellow and orange powercolor to give the effect of a cozy glow inside the house.

The final touches were some gem stones on the mushrooms, and some dried moss I had soaked in transparent powertex to give a real deep in the woods effect.

If you look very carefully, you might just spy a few fairies on the footage below









Why not have a go yourself?  

You can see more of my work on www.facebook.com/artmuralsbydonnamcghie or my website www.artandmurals.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment