Monday 22 October 2018

Halloween Nightmare or how not to make a craft video!

I bet I am one of the few people who have a dread of Halloween. It's not that it scares me or that I don't like the art of it all, it's just that for some reason every time I try to create what's in my head, it turns into a Halloween Nightmare!!! 

I had this grand idea that I would use Powertex and some of the super Secret Art Loft bright acrylics and the Gothic Arches.
It has all worked out just fine except I had it all planned in my head that I would create my very first Craft Video!

As you may know that as well as being on the Powertex DT I am also a Resident Tutor on the Mixed Up Creative education platform, so in my infinite wisdom and being filled with oodles of enthusiasm I got myself all set up to create the video for them.  Bearing in mind I also have lots of experience demo'ing on TV craft channels this should all be so easy...well believe me it isn't!  
In a TV studio there is a crew, superb lighting and a presenter who asks the questions viewers want answers too; you have your step pieces prepared and you have everything laid out ready to head in the order you want to use them. Oh and with filming, all you have to think about is product placement and which camera to look at.
Hmmm this is where it all goes belly up!  I didn't have steps planned this was going to be a one shot product.  I had just one small light; I had to operate the camera in my very small studio - just 3 meters by 1.5 meters but every mm is packed tight rather tardis like!
I had it all planned though so it would run like clock work.  
I made sure my long suffering other half knew what I was doing and he was primed to stay well away.
OMG it was a total nightmare!!!  
Not at all the slick professional looking video I had imagined, planned for and not at all fun! It was my Halloween Nightmare and then some!  Dropping various bits, forgetting I had wrecked the first arch and the second had sticky tape on etc. etc.  Worse still is that that what you don't see or hear at the end of the video is my husband walking in on me, talking loudly about tea, apologising profusely, then me slinging the paintbrush and who knows what else across the worktop and sighing so loud I have every expectation even a Ghost would have shrieked in fright!
After all that I decided while it was a rubbish video I would share my experience with you because at the end of the day we all have to start somewhere.  Hat's off to all those highly polished artists and crafters who have mastered the intricacies of video, I am learning, I will not be defeated and I will master it.  
In the meantime have a laugh with me, share my pain and I hope the resulting Powertex Halloween tag is slightly OK.

Bye for now, Fi xx
ps Here's the link to the video


3 comments:

  1. Looks great and I think you did very well with your video x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I have to say, if i'd not have read your write up first I'd never have known anything happened in your video, apart from not having any sound (not sure if there should be any) and you going out of shot a couple of times, then there was nothing at all wrong with it. The steps were dead easy to follow and it was easy to see what you were doing at each stage. I think it's a fabulous first effort and look forward to seeing some more. Well done xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your honesty Fi and I can totally relate. Im trying to video just one part for my blog and it is so frustrating however I think you totally cracked it...Axx

    ReplyDelete