Monday 4 June 2018

Why I LOVE Stoneart............

Hello there

I hope you've been enjoying the recent spell of warm weather and haven't been too affected by those nasty thunderstorms.....living in the Midlands we've had the joy of both ends of the weather spectrum!!

This month I wanted to share with you my absolute love for Stone Art so I took the monthly theme from Powertex UK and created a masquerade statue using Stone Art in its various forms mixed with Black Powertex.

Stone Art is a unique fiber-composition which has been especially designed for use with Powertex Universal Mediums. 

The reason I love working with this product is the total flexibility you have with it.  You can use it with any of the Powertex Universal Medium colours although I choose not to use the transparent unless I'm adding pigment in to colour it at the same time.

To start off you can layer it on top of a coat of Powertex, press in to form a bond then gently wipe away the excess into a pot for reuse later.  By repeating this process you can build up the stone effect on canvas, polystyrene, wood etc and you waste nothing as all of the excess can be reused.  Polishing the layers with your hand will cause a more natural effect and will cause the darker areas to have a slight sheen.






Next you can mix your Powertex Universal Medium with the Stone Art in a pot to create a slurry of various consistencies.  In its loosest state you can paint this onto any surface to give a rustic texture.  As it gets thicker, you can use a palate knife to spread over your base.  The thicker the mixture the more control you have over it.






Finally you can go all the way and make up Stone Art clay by adding more powder to the slurry stage and then kneading (like bread) to make sure all the white has been absorbed into the coloured liquid.  Again you can choose how firm you mix this before working with it.  When covering statues etc I keep mine on the tacky side so that I can blend in any joins.   However when working on a canvas, I tend to make it firmer so that I can imprint into it with stamps and stencils, these imprints will come out with a rustic feel due to the nature of the clay.  In this firm state you can also use it in silicon moulds to create beautiful embellishments.


I finished my statue by adding the venetian mask from the Powertex range, I coated with black Powertex and then dry brushed with Rich Gold pigment.  As a finishing touch I tucked feathers into the collar.....after all this is all about masquerade!

Until next time Happy Creative Adventures and don't forget to post your makes on the Powertex facebook page

Axx

No comments:

Post a Comment