Thursday 4 January 2018

Oriental Mixed Media Canvas (by Anne)


I created this mixed media canvas using acrylic paints and various elements treated with transparent Powertex. Powertex is great for stiffening, gluing down and protecting porous substrates such as fabric, card or wood.
The lace elements were my first attempts at making Teneriffe Lace (yes the lace name has 2 f’s - as in the original spelling of the island). I struggled a bit with getting my knotting secure at first plus my weaving and tensioning was pretty uneven too. I really wasn’t sure what to do with them and they nearly went into the bin. However, I then thought of Powertex treatment. The lace would be stiffened and sealed so no worry about any of the knotting coming lose.



The variegated blue threads that I have chosen inspired me to create something with an Oriental theme. Incorporating my ‘imperfect’ lace elements into a canvas was perfect. I treated them with Powertex and laid them flat overnight to dry. I also cut into some of them and used pieces as collage elements.


The canvas background was painted with white gesso to prime. Rubber stamps were used with acrylic paints to add a little background texture. I also sponged acrylic paint through a mandala stencil to complement the lace elements. Acrylic paint containing crushed gilding flake was used to blend in from around the edges.

The branches and blossoms were die cut from card, shaped with an embossing tool, then painted with transparent Powertex. Likewise the fan was created using card and bamboo barbeque sticks. Again I treated this with Powertex.

I was really pleased with the results and my lace pieces ended up being showcased very nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment