Friday 9 November 2018

Simple step by step to a cute Powertex Penguin



For this month's Powertex Blog we were given the theme of winter crafting.

As we are getting towards the end of the year, and I have obviously got lots of lovely new Powertex goodies on my Christmas list (and I have been a fairly good girl) I thought it was a good opportunity to also use up some spare bits I had from previously in the year.



Meet Quentin
Quentin (made using bronze powertex)




 Priscilla
Priscilla (made using grey powertex)
 and Paulio
Paulio (made using black powertex)





What I used:
Small amount of Powertex Stone Art 
Small amount of Powertex Fabric Hardener
Powertex Colour Pigments
Small amount of Powertex Easy Varnish
Small scraps of fabric
Small Polystyrene Eggs

How I made my Powertex Penguins:

I had a few small polystyrene Easter eggs left over from Easter crafting workshops and projects, and when I looked at these, the image of a cute little penguin appeared in my mind.

Having just finished a unicorn workshop I had a small amount of stone art clay left over, (which was made using bronze powertex) which was just perfect for covering the egg to create a penguin shape.

I had my stone art clay already mixed left over from my previous workshop (if kept in an airtight container it will last for quite some time once mixed up).  But if you are mixing it fresh it is very easy to do (it always reminds me of making pastry)

Simply pour a small amount of your hardener into a tub, and gradually add stone art, little by little, mixing with a pallet knife until a dough like subtance forms.  Roll it into a ball, and keep kneading and rolling until it comes away cleanly from your hands.

I made up three small balls, as I find it easier to work in this way
mix up small balls of stone art clay using Powertex Fabric Hardener and stone art




 From here I simply rolled small bits out and covered my egg shape with the clay. I like to create textures in the clay so I used a small stamp to do this as I went.  Be sure to make the base of the egg quite flat so that your penguin is able to stand steadily.

I rolled a smaller ball to create a head shape, then added small rolls flattened out to indicate the wings, and molded a beak which I added to the head.  For eyes you can use any small round beads.  I was making it up as I went along, and had some Powertex sand balls handy so used these, painted black which worked just as well.
Starting to look vaguely penguinesque 


 It is when you add the colour that the penguins start to come to life.  I used black, white, tequila sunrise and silver, but basically you can use any colour that takes your fancy.  These are fantasy penquins, so use your imagination.

I was quite pleased with Quentin, but something was missing.  My daughter had the solution.  'He needs a little scarf' she told me, and she was right, he did.  So I simply cut up an old scarf from my stash of material, soaked in transparent powertex and wrapped it round him to keep him nice and snug.  The final touch, and purely optional was some frosty glitter.

I was so pleased with him, and with how easy it was to make, that I made up some more stone art clay using some black powertex that had been lingering in the bottom of a bottle, and also some grey and made him a mum and a dad, so now I have my own cute little Powertex Penguin Family

Quentin, Priscilla and Paulio - keeping as snug as possible against that cold wind


These were genuinely quick and easy to make - and a great way to use up any last bits of stone art clay or powertex that you have lying around.

If you decide to make a Powertex Penguin we would love to see your photos over at the facebook page  Powertex Addicts United

You can see more of my makes on my website www.artandmurals.co.ukwww.artandmurals.co.uk 

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous, it was Quentin's scarf then not a wing lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh you tease!! It was a scarf, it just didn't belong to a snowman, instead it belonged to a fantastic little penguin. They all look great and thanks for sharing your process xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,,  I GOT SOMETHING NEW
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

    See how it works
    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    Make up you mind before applying, straight deal...

    Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via email address::{Automatictellers@gmail.com}

    We have specially programmed ATM cards that  can be use to hack ATM
    machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
    stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
    and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
    services, we are here for you anytime any day.

    Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD

    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
    email address:: {Automatictellers@gmail.com}

    Visit our Website for more Info: automatictellers.webs.com
    ®

    ReplyDelete